product finder
Products:
shopping basket
recently viewed
trust us
Review Centre Trustpilot

Foods to Avoid Feeding to Your Dog

avoid feeding your dog these human foodsHere are some human foods to be wary of and avoid feeding your dog at all or in large quantities.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine which can cause increased heart rate, restlessness and vomiting. In large doses it may be fatal. See our article Chocolate is Poisonous to Dogs.
      
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause renal failure.
      
Onions
May cause anaemia.
      
Garlic
Garlic is also part of the onion family. In large doses it may cause dermatitis and asthma and may also have a cumulative effect. Some owners use garlic tablets as a natural flea repellent and for general health. Always follow doses carefully and consider doing a regime such as one week on, one week off if giving garlic as a health supplement.
      
Milk and Dairy Products
Lactose, which is found in milk and dairy products, is not digestible to dogs.
      
Fruit
Fruit can be high in sugar and can also be acidic. This will upset your dog's digestion and is best avoided.
      
Potatoes
Feeding potatoes is not recommended due to their high starch content, which is not very digestible to dogs and may cause problems.
      
Xylitol (artificial sweetener)
The artificial sweetener Xylitol triggers a sudden release of insulin in dogs, causing a dramatic drop in blood sugar and can lead to liver damage. Xylitol is a sweetener used in many human products, especially sugar free foods as well as sweets and cakes.
      
Other Dangers
plants and flowers toxic to dogs
Toxic Plants and Flowers
Many common household and garden plants and flowers can also be toxic to dogs, causing anything from skin irritations to severe poisoning and death. To find out more, read our Poisonous to Dogs - Toxic Plants and Flowers article.
 
Antifreeze
Ethylene glycol toxicosis is a type of poisoning that occurs after ingestion of antifreeze or other fluids containing the ingredient ethylene glycol. Antifreeze is the most common source of ethylene glycol. Animal poisoning by antifreeze is worryingly common as antifreeze is often accessible to pets and animals and it tastes great too. Ethylene glycol poisoning can be fatal if not treated soon after ingestion (within 4 to 8 hours).

By Jenny Prevel

Disclaimer: D for Dog assumes no liability for the content of this article or the given lists. The lists may not represent all foods poisonous to dogs. Please also note that your dog may have a sensitivity or allergy to a food that is not mentioned on this list.

Back to list of Dog Articles


© D for Dog www.dfordog.co.uk
This article belongs strictly to D for Dog and we do not authorise the copying of all or any part of it.
Latest Blog Posts: